UW-Madison is dedicated to the vibrant opportunities that grow from international education, research, and outreach. To carry out the university’s mission, the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff abroad is of utmost importance.
This site will be regularly updated to reflect the dynamic conditions abroad. It will include information about important events and actions that impact the international environment as well as other international safety and security-related resources to help mitigate risk abroad.
Safe International Travel Begins at Home
Check this website frequently before and during travel for updates on important events and actions that may impact your safety abroad.
International Safety and Security Director (ISSD)
The International Safety and Security Director (ISSD) provides guidance to UW-Madison’s study abroad offices and other international education stakeholders on best practices in safety and security in a context of dynamic global conditions. The ISSD coordinates and promotes resources and supporting actions on behalf of students, faculty and staff who travel abroad on university-affiliated business. Contact the ISSD.
Dr. Ronald Machoian is the international safety and security director (ISSD) and a senior lecturer of international studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a role he has held since retiring from the U.S. Air Force in 2014.
He previously served as the director of international programs at the U.S. Air Force Academy where he also was a professor of strategic studies and held senior leadership positions in student affairs and institutional diversity and culture. Dr. Machoian is a Fellow at the International Center for Security and Leadership. He is an active member of Pulse, the association of safety and security professionals in higher education, and OSAC, the U.S. Department of State’s Overseas Security Advisory Council. He holds master’s and Ph.D. degrees in history from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
University International Travel Committee (UITC)
The UITC is currently charged with the following tasks:
• Review requests for waiver to the “Travel Resources, Guidelines and Policies” regarding student travel abroad.
• Assist in the administration and periodic review of the "International Travel Resources, Guidelines and Policies" document and in the development of additional guidelines, policies, and resources regarding international travel for UW-Madison students, staff and faculty.
• Help disseminate information about resources for international travel, such as international travel insurance and emergency assistance.
• Provide support to the International Safety & Security Director in his role.
• Develop processes to identify students, faculty, and staff who are traveling abroad under university auspices.
• Provide recommendations regarding university travel in cases of international crises.
• The International Safety and Security Director (ISSD) serves as the executive officer to the UITC.
The UITC was established in 2010 by then-Provost Paul DeLuca.
Current UITC Members (2019-20):
- Ronald Machoian, International Safety and Security Director
- Dan Gold, Director, International Academic Programs
- John Pfotenhauer, Professor, College of Engineering
- Katie Block, Assistant Registrar for Student Services, Office of the Registrar
- Jim Conway, Professor of Pediatrics-Infectious Diseases, Global Health Institute, SMPH
- Nikki Davis, Associate Director for Program Management, International Academic Programs
- Michelle Kern Hall, Interim Director, International Internship Program, International Division
- Li-Ching Ho, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Chief of Staff, Office of the Provost
- Jeffrey Karcher, Director, Risk Management, Business Services
- Mara Kieser, Assistant Dean of Experiential Education, School of Pharmacy
- Bill Kinsey, Director of Medical Services, University Health Services
- Amy Kuether, Director of Academic Services, Graduate School
- David Rosenthal, Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Psychology & Special Education
- Lesley Sager, Faculty Associate, School of Human Ecology
- Kathryn Sanchez, Professor of Spanish and Portuguese, L&S
- Katie Tollefson, Assistant Director, International Faculty & Staff Services, Human Resources
- Sachin Tuli, Faculty Director, International Programs, Wisconsin School of Business
- Karen Wassarman, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, CALS