Safe international travel begins at home
There is no substitute for sound planning before you leave. In an effort to serve the UW-Madison community, this site will be revised and updated often to reflect dynamic conditions abroad.
We will add and update information and links about important events and actions that impact the international environment as well as work to present information in an accessible manner. This website is our bulletin board, a resource that hopefully supports the needs of the UW-Madison community.
The University International Travel Resources, Guidelines and Policies (“Travel Policy”) expresses UW-Madison’s dedication to the vibrant opportunities that grow from international education, research and outreach. This policy attempts to mitigate risk present in many parts of the world with reasonable consideration for planned travel to destinations where there is heightened risk. If you are considering travel to a location that is under a U.S. Department of State or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Warning, please read the Travel Policy in its entirety. The policy is not a constraint on your plans, but instead is a process that describes the university’s interest in ensuring your safety and security in the international environment. The UITC is very sincerely an enthusiastic partner in helping you achieve your goals abroad.
If you are in need of additional information or have questions about this site or the University International Travel Policy and Guidelines, please feel free to contact Ron Machoian, the UW-Madison ISSD, directly at email@example.com or telephone 608-890-2446.
The University International Travel Committee (UITC) was established in 2010 by then-Provost Paul DeLuca. It is currently charged with the following tasks:
• Review requests for waiver to the “Travel Resources, Guidelines and Policies” regarding student travel abroad.
• Assist in the administration and periodic review of the "International Travel Resources, Guidelines and Policies" document and in the development of additional guidelines, policies, and resources regarding international travel for UW-Madison students, staff and faculty.
• Help disseminate information about resources for international travel, such as international travel insurance and emergency assistance.
• Provide support to the International Safety & Security Director in his role.
• Develop processes to identify students, faculty, and staff who are traveling abroad under university auspices.
• Provide recommendations regarding university travel in cases of international crises.
• The International Safety and Security Director (ISSD) serves as the executive officer to the UITC.
Current UITC Members (2019-20):
- Dan Gold, Director, International Academic Programs
- John Pfotenhauer, Professor, School of Engineering
- Katie Block, Assistant Registrar for Student Services, Office of the Registrar
- Jim Conway, Professor of Pediatrics-Infectious Diseases, Global Health Institute, SMPH
- Nikki Davis, Associate Director for Program Management, International Academic Programs
- Michelle Kern Hall, Interim Director, International Internship Program, International Division
- Li-Ching Ho, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Chief of Staff, Office of the Provost
- Jeffrey Karcher, Director, Risk Management, Business Services
- Mara Kieser, Assistant Dean of Experiential Education, School of Pharmacy
- Bill Kinsey, Director of Medical Services, University Health Services
- Amy Kuether, Director of Academic Services, Graduate School
- David Rosenthal, Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Psychology & Special Education
- Lesley Sager, Faculty Associate, School of Human Ecology
- Kathryn Sanchez, Professor of Spanish and Portuguese, L&S
- Katie Tollefson, Assistant Director, International Faculty & Staff Services, Human Resources
- Sachin Tuli, Faculty Director, International Programs, Wisconsin School of Business
- Karen Wassarman, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, CALS